COVID 19 AND CANCER PATIENTS – DOS AND DON’TS
Dr. Harish P, Consultant – Medical Oncology
Till enough data is acquired, and enough supplies are available, my suggestion for cancer patients and also to the general public is to:
1. Strictly practice physical distancing : Particularly avoiding crowding inside closed areas like houses/restaurants.
2. Be vigilant : Watch out for warning signs of infection, such as a loss of taste or smell, fever, fatigue, cough or diarrhoea. Keep cuts, scrapes or surgical scars clean, and be aware of swelling or redness. Report any such signs to your doctor.
3. Practice good hygiene : Wash your hands often with warm water and soap. Keep your home clean.
4. Avoid large crowds : Make sure to wear a mask if you are in an enclosed space with other people. And stay away from people you know may be sick.
5. Eat well and stay hydrated : Follow your care team’s recommended dietary guidelines. Do not share food, drinking glasses or utensils with others. Avoid raw or undercooked foods. Eat and drink only pasteurized juice or dairy products.
Check out our new blog on Vaccination Against Covid-19 in Patients with Cancer – What We Know and What We Don’t?